resizing an lvm volume with setup-storage

Nicolas Courtel courtel at cena.fr
Fri Mar 26 12:22:40 CET 2010

Hello Michael,

I found another issue on the LVM resize option : it always preserves the
partition. This is not appropriate, as when resizing /usr like I do one
is expecting the partition to be cleaned before the new installation.
Also, setup-storage fails if the partition does not already exist :

Can't preserve /dev/vg0/usr because it does not exist

IMHO the resize option should behave as follows:
if (the volume exists) {
  resize the volume
  if (a preserve* flag is also set for this volume) {
    resize the filesystem
  } else {
    create a new filesystem
  }
} else {
  ignore the resize flag and create a new volume + filesystem
}

--
Nicolas