resizing an lvm volume with setup-storage

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Mar 26 16:47:20 CET 2010

> Hello Michael,

> I found another issue on the LVM resize option : it always preserves
> the partition. This is not appropriate, as when resizing /usr like I
> do one is expecting the partition to be cleaned before the new
> installation.  Also, setup-storage fails if the partition does not
> already exist :
>
> Can't preserve /dev/vg0/usr because it does not exist
>

> IMHO the resize option should behave as follows:
> if (the volume exists) {
>  resize the volume
>  if (a preserve* flag is also set for this volume) {
>    resize the filesystem
>  } else {
>    create a new filesystem
>  }
> } else {
>  ignore the resize flag and create a new volume + filesystem
> }

I believe that it's mostly a matter of naming and/or using the options somewhat
differently:

- If you don't want to preserve data, there is no reason to use resize or
  preserve. Just specify the size and you get what you want.
- If you want to preserve data but need to change sizes, you use "resize".
- If you really want setup-storage not to touch some volume, use one of the
  preserve options. Where preserve is one of preserve_always, preserve_reinstall
  or preserve_lazy. The latter seems to be still buggy, as you noted, that has
  to be fixed.

I'm not sure whether this was a problem of missing documentation/clarification
or rather a real wish to alter behaviour.

Best,