FAI of custom linux OS

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Jan 15 15:18:31 CET 2010

    > use VMware, and although I can install these using FAI, it's faster
    > and simpler to use the templating mechanism that ESX has.  FAI's great
    > strength for me is the ability to deal with divergent hardware, and of
    > course that isn't an issue with virtual machines.
FAI also simplyfies the handling of different configurations, for
e.g. if you have to install database servers, desktops, and a bunch of
slightly different web servers.

If I understand the template feature in ESX correctly, it's only a
cloning operation. You can just clone an existing virtual machine. But
you can't clone onnly part of a configuration or modify some parts
after cloning.