FAI of custom linux OS

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jan 15 15:27:14 CET 2010

On 15 Jan 2010, at 2:18 pm, Thomas Lange wrote:

>> use VMware, and although I can install these using FAI, it's faster
>> and simpler to use the templating mechanism that ESX has.  FAI's
>> great
>> strength for me is the ability to deal with divergent hardware, and
>> of
>> course that isn't an issue with virtual machines.
> FAI also simplyfies the handling of different configurations, for
> e.g. if you have to install database servers, desktops, and a bunch of
> slightly different web servers.

I handle all that stuff with cfengine, rather than with FAI.  For me,
FAI configures the hardware and a basic OS install.  We also make FAI
create udev rules so that the network interfaces look the same
regardless of the physical hardware, so that cfengine refers to
network interfaces by functional names like 'site', 'heartbeat',
'lustre' or whatever.  cfengine does all role-specific configuration.
This is because there are plenty of systems around here which still
need automatic configuration but which are not installed with FAI
(SLES10, Red Hat, Solaris etc).  To avoid duplication of configuration
data, our installation systems are never set up to do anything special
according to the machine's purpose.

> If I understand the template feature in ESX correctly, it's only a
> cloning operation. You can just clone an existing virtual machine. But
> you can't clone onnly part of a configuration or modify some parts
> after cloning.

Actually, you can, but the extent to which you can rather depends on
the OS being deployed.  If the OS is Debian, it doesn't do a very good
job.  :-)  If you, like me, also have to run Windows VMs, there are
quite sophisticated things you can do with VMware Converter, such as
mess around with disk layouts, change which services are running in
the clone machine, change the network interfaces, and so on and so
forth.  It's nowhere near as sophisticated as FAI or cfengine, of
course, but it's quite useful nevertheless.

Regards,

Tim