FAI of custom linux OS

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jan 15 14:48:41 CET 2010

On 15 Jan 2010, at 1:37 pm, arul prakash wrote:

> Hi,
>     Is it possible to fully automate the installation of a
> customised linux
> OS using FAI.I'm planing to do the installation in a Virtual machine
> using
> the ISO image of the OS.If possible please mention a reference to do
> so.

I don't personally use FAI to install virtual machines, although I
suppose it depends on which virtualisation system you're using.  We
use VMware, and although I can install these using FAI, it's faster
and simpler to use the templating mechanism that ESX has.  FAI's great
strength for me is the ability to deal with divergent hardware, and of
course that isn't an issue with virtual machines.

Tim