FAI on a thumper

Alexander Bugl alexander.bugl at zmaw.de
Fri Feb 26 09:19:35 CET 2010

Hi Carsten!

> we are currently trying FAI 3.3.3 on a thumper (Sun Fire x4500) but right now
> it does not like it too much:
> Executing: parted -s /dev/sdy unit chs print free
> Executing: parted -s /dev/sdz unit TiB print

Are you sure about sdy?

According to http://docs.sun.com/source/820-4893-13/rhel.html Table 4-1
it depends on the firmware version and on Virtual Floppy / Virtual
CD-ROM being mounted, so you should probably try sdx ...

(And you should change sdz to sdab or sdac ...)

I have no experience with Thumpers and FAI, but spent some time using
kickstart for CentOS to find the correct boot devices -- and in my case
it has been sdy and sdac, even with Firmware 2.0.2.5 and no Virtual
Floppy / Virtual CD-ROM, so in my case the table was wrong. Probably it
depends on the kernel version used ...

With regards, Alex

--
Alexander Bugl,  Central IT Services, ZMAW
Max  Planck  Institute   for   Meteorology