FAI on a thumper

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Fri Feb 26 10:22:44 CET 2010

Resending without the attachment (Thomas, 15kB is REALLY strict)

Hi Alex,

On Friday 26 February 2010 09:19:35 Alexander Bugl wrote:

> Are you sure about sdy?

I thought so, as I looked before where no GPT label was

> According to http://docs.sun.com/source/820-4893-13/rhel.html Table 4-1
> it depends on the firmware version and on Virtual Floppy / Virtual
> CD-ROM being mounted, so you should probably try sdx ...
>
> (And you should change sdz to sdab or sdac ...)

That was just copy paste from the FAI output and FAI searches /dev in a
special order, i.e.

sda, sdaa, sdab, sdac, ..., sdb, sdc, sdd, ...

> I have no experience with Thumpers and FAI, but spent some time using
> kickstart for CentOS to find the correct boot devices -- and in my case
> it has been sdy and sdac, even with Firmware 2.0.2.5 and no Virtual
> Floppy / Virtual CD-ROM, so in my case the table was wrong. Probably it
> depends on the kernel version used ...

*sigh* ;)

But the hint did not help:

INTERNAL ERROR in setup-storage:
Invalid device /dev/sdx1
Please report this error to the Debian Bug Tracking System.

Interestingly:
root at s01:/# ls -l /dev/sdx*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 65, 112 Feb 26 09:04 /dev/sdx
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 65, 113 Feb 26 09:04 /dev/sdx1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 65, 121 Feb 26 09:04 /dev/sdx9

and more so:
root at s01:/# parted /dev/sdx print
Model: ATA HITACHI HDS7250S (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdx: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start  End    Size   File system  Name  Flags
 1      131kB  500GB  500GB               zfs

root at s01:/# parted /dev/sdy print
Model: ATA HITACHI HDS7250S (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdy: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  263MB   263MB   primary   ext3         boot
 2      263MB   26.5GB  26.2GB  primary   ext3
 3      26.5GB  60.8GB  34.4GB  primary   linux-swap
 4      60.8GB  500GB   439GB   extended               lba
 5      60.8GB  87.0GB  26.2GB  logical   xfs
 6      87.0GB  113GB   26.2GB  logical   xfs
 7      113GB   115GB   2147MB  logical   xfs
 8      115GB   500GB   385GB   logical   xfs

Something seems amiss here, any setup-storage gurus around (this is v1.0.3)?

Attaching the slightly edited fai.log (compressed)
EDIT: Now available under
http://atlas1.atlas.aei.uni-hannover.de/~carsten/fai-thumper.log.gz

Cheers

Carsten