Debian squeeze: still stuck with GRUB_PC

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sun Feb 21 21:29:58 CET 2010

> Heyho!
>
> I'm still using LILO because grub-pc doesn't work for me.
>
> I found part of the problem: scripts/GRUB_PC/10-setup has a static list of
> grub modules to be included in core.img; with squeeze's grub version, some
> of these modules were renamed or are not available anymore.
>
> $ROOTCMD grub-mkimage --output=/boot/grub/core.img ext2 pc gpt biosdisk lvm
> $ROOTCMD /usr/sbin/grub-install --no-floppy --modules="ext2 _chain pc gpt
> biosdisk lvm raid serial" "($grub_dev)"
>
> Of these modules, grub 1.98~20100115-1 doesn't contain at least pc.mod
> (perhaps part_msdos.mod?), _chain.mod (presumably is now chain.mod), gpt.mod
> (probably part_gpt.mod.)
>
> I found grub can figure out the list of needed module fine in usual cases,
> but I appreciate that lvm/raid/... cases might need the manual specification
> of the modules.  (Or is this a problem with running from the FAI chroot?  I
> only tried from a natively booted system.)

Thanks a lot for this information; for the experimental builds, this list is
updated (I just left lvm raid serial in there) as of 3.3.4~beta1+experimental1.

> The next problem was that the partitioner apparently generates partitions
> without post mbr gap (before the start of the first partition.)  grub-setup
> now needs the --force argument to allow using a block-list.  (Not sure if
> this still happens with a freshly cleared partition sector, might be left-
> over from an older version.  I just re-installed fai.)

[...]

This post-mbr gap depends on the disk label you use. If you specify gpt-bios a
pseudo-partition will be created which should do the trick. I wouldn't be aware
of any need for such space on full GPT (with EFI) or msdos disk labels.

Best,