Debian squeeze: still stuck with GRUB_PC

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Wed Feb 10 15:19:02 CET 2010

Heyho!

I'm still using LILO because grub-pc doesn't work for me.

I found part of the problem: scripts/GRUB_PC/10-setup has a static list of
grub modules to be included in core.img; with squeeze's grub version, some
of these modules were renamed or are not available anymore.

$ROOTCMD grub-mkimage --output=/boot/grub/core.img ext2 pc gpt biosdisk lvm
$ROOTCMD /usr/sbin/grub-install --no-floppy --modules="ext2 _chain pc gpt
biosdisk lvm raid serial" "($grub_dev)"

Of these modules, grub 1.98~20100115-1 doesn't contain at least pc.mod
(perhaps part_msdos.mod?), _chain.mod (presumably is now chain.mod), gpt.mod
(probably part_gpt.mod.)

I found grub can figure out the list of needed module fine in usual cases,
but I appreciate that lvm/raid/... cases might need the manual specification
of the modules.  (Or is this a problem with running from the FAI chroot?  I
only tried from a natively booted system.)

The next problem was that the partitioner apparently generates partitions
without post mbr gap (before the start of the first partition.)  grub-setup
now needs the --force argument to allow using a block-list.  (Not sure if
this still happens with a freshly cleared partition sector, might be left-
over from an older version.  I just re-installed fai.)

At this point (sorry - as long as I have a workaround, my boss is not really
paying the debugging on this) I again returned to LILO.

cheers
-- vbi

(btw, with a dd if=/dev/zero'ed partition sector, I didn't see the undefined
variables during partitioning I reported when I brought this up the first
time.)

--
featured link: http://www.pool.ntp.org