problems with e1000 - was: install system hangs during boot up

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sat Dec 4 15:15:26 CET 2010

[...]
> It seems to wait for the NIC to become ready (link established) forever. No
> DHCP, no NFS mount so far. And no busybox because the system seems to be stuck
> in an endless loop :-(

Hmm, so the message "eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbp" is just crap!?

> I finally put another NIC (e1000e) into the machine and everything works fine.
> So I'm quite sure it's a driver issue...

You're probably well aware that there are a whole load of Intel e1000 card types
and whether your particular card is properly supported or not might change with
different PCI IDs (you might want to post yours for further investigation).
AFAIK for our servers just across the street (FB 20/Informatik, the servers
being still there but no me :-) ) for some of the interfaces we also had to
fiddle around with various driver versions, including building them from (Intel)
source.

> Is anybody else doing installations with PXE using e1000 cards? Does the FAI-
> Kernel work for you?

Yes :-) - and in fact I don't quite remember whether we ever tried the
"FAI-kernel", we always used standard kernel packages instead. Seriously,
there's nothing wrong with using a distro kernel, installing the modules into
the NFSROOT and copying over kernel+initrd for tftp/PXE.

Hope this helps,