resizing an lvm volume with setup-storage

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Apr 8 15:10:15 CEST 2010

> Michael Tautschnig a écrit :
> >I believe resizing of logical volumes with ext2/ext3 should work as of
> >3.3.5+experimental1; for the moment, resize2fs will *not* be used on normal
> >partitions as I'd need to take huge pains to make that work reliably, because
> >resizing of the underlying partition cannot be done using parted *without*
> >resizing the filesystem as well. Adding support for this is scheduled for some
> >later release of parted (see first Q in resizing section of
> >http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/faq.shtml).
> >

> I'm afraid it doesn't, fai fails in task partition. fai.log is at
> http://paste.debian.net/68000/.

I'll look into it...

> I don't understand the difference you make here between "the
> underlying partition"  and the "filesystem" : AFAIK we only need to
> resize the LVM volume, which has nothing to do with parted, and the
> filesystem. The volume group does not need to be resized. I surely
> missed something...

Oh, I believe I've mixed too many things in there. No, for LVM all this
partition stuff doesn't matter and using resize2fs is just fine.

It's just that I thought it would also be useful to use resize2fs for partitions
with ext2/ext3, and not only for LVM. But that doesn't quite work (yet). And
not just because of setup-storage being buggy...

Best,