Installing seamonkey

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 4 22:39:38 CEST 2009

From: "Markus Köberl" <markus.koeberl at tugraz.at>
> I am not completely sure, it is a long time ago that i had to do this. It
> worked with debian etch for gnome and kde.
> Try to create an aplicationname.desktop file at /usr/share/applications
> and
> run update-menus
>
> example of the aplicationname.desktop file which worked fine for me:
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=Skype (32bit)
> Comment=Skype Internet Telephony
> Exec=skype
> Icon=/usr/share/icons/skype.png
> Terminal=0
> Type=Application
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Categories=Network;Application;

Yes, this works. I used a program called alacarte to generate the desktop
file. It put it in ~/.local/share/applications/alacarte.desktop. I renamed
it and copied it to /usr/share/applications/seamonkey.desktop.

That made seamonkey appear in the "other" menu on my desktop. To get it to
appear in the "Internet" menu along with iceweasel and icedove, I had to add
a categories line like the one in your example.