Fai on Ubuntu 9.10 status?

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Sun Sep 6 12:19:32 CEST 2009

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:43:22 +0200
> From: Per Foreby <perf at ddg.lth.se>
> Subject: Re: Fai on Ubuntu 9.10 status?
> To: linux-fai <linux-fai at uni-koeln.de>

> Softupdate would do for me. You can always install the base in some
> other way (Debian FAI server, clonezilla, g4l, ...) and then use
> softupdate to get things exactly the way you want them.

> /Per

Hi Per,

I'm going offtopic here, but if nothing else works and you *need*
softupdate functionality, you could always revert to some config
management tool. I know, this may be administrative overhead, but I'm
using cfengine3 [1] successfully to manage the whole network and its
nodes. And if you restrict yourself to software
installation/removal/updates, it isn't too much work.

Drawback is that you have another service running on the server and the
clients, another software to worry about, and another technology to
learn. In my case, however, it saves me hours and hours of
administrative tasks and potential server downtime since you can make
the whole thing self-healing. Here, FAI does the initial installation of
the nodes, whereas cfengine is responsible for further customization.

Cheers,
Robert

PS: sorry for the mangled post!

[1] http://www.cfengine.org