Two network cards

Michael Goetze mgoetze at mgoetze.net
Tue Nov 17 15:47:12 CET 2009

Hi Peter,

> * I need to install a client machine and configure it with all static IP
> addresses for each of the network interfaces. (That would involve
> fai-chboot and the /var/lib/fai/config/scripts/FAIBASE/30-interface
> script - to dynamically setup all active interfaces in the
> client's /etc/network/interfaces file.)
>
> Is anyone of you aware of step-by-step instructions that tackle this
> problem, or has anyone of you done exactly this before too?
>
> What I am about to try is create a boot profile for each interface
> (based on MAC address/IP address of the interfaces), and put a
> configuration in /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf for each of the interfaces.

I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. If you're
provisioning all the network cards of a machine from a central DHCP
server, does that mean they are all in the same layer 2 network? (If so,
why do you have more than one network card?) Or do you move them to a
different network configuration after installation? Perhaps it would
help if you explained your network topology.

Generally speaking, you should have one template /etc/network/interfaces
for each class of machine, and then plug in the IP addresses for each
machine via search and replace. Cfagent is nice for this.

Regards,