Two network cards

Peter Bittner peter.bittner at thalesgroup.com
Wed Nov 18 10:30:03 CET 2009

Thanks Michael for your response.

> If you're provisioning all the network cards of a machine from a
> central DHCP server, does that mean they are all in the same layer 2
> network? (If so, why do you have more than one network card?)

Our machines have 2 network cards, one for the internal traffic (service
network, e.g. 192.168.1.*) and one for the external traffic (business
network, e.g. 10.255.248.*).

For installation purposes I assign a IP addresses to the relevant MAC
addresses in the DHCP server configuration, but when the client
installation is finished the client must have static IP addresses only,
and I am supposed to remove the traces from the DHCP server
configuration.

> Generally speaking, you should have one
> template /etc/network/interfaces for each class of machine, and then
> plug in the IP addresses for each machine via search and replace.
> Cfagent is nice for this.

Thanks for the hint. I thought to do it with the script that does the
job today (/var/lib/fai/config/scripts/FAIBASE/30-interface) and
generalise it, so it would generate /etc/network/interfaces generically
taking care of all active interfaces. In practice there is probably not
much difference in the two approaches.

I am missing one point though: How do I assign the IP addresses to the
multiple interfaces (be)for(e) the installation process? - I will simply
try to put them into the DHCP server configuration and then check
whether all network interfaces are set up (by ipconfig?) during the
installation process. Hope that works out...

Also, should I create a boot profile for both (all) interfaces using
fai-chboot? For my understanding one is enough, what I need to provide
is an IP address for each and every interface via DHCP to avoid ipconfig
have the system hanging when booting the installation.

Please let me know if I'm going in a wrong direction. Any suggestions
welcome!

Cheers, Peter