errors with FAI 3.3 and shell scripts

Frédéric Boiteux fboiteux at calistel.com
Thu Nov 5 13:18:41 CET 2009

	Hello,

  I'm trying to use the shiny new FAI 3.3 with my installation system,
upgrading from 3.2.17. I encounter a lot of errors during package
installations (for a Woody system), about the task_prepareapt function,
like :

Preparing to replace at 3.1.8-11 (using .../at_3.1.8-11.1_i386.deb) ...
/bin/sh: task_prepareapt: line 17: syntax error near unexpected token
`;' /bin/sh: task_prepareapt: line 17: `;'
/bin/sh: error importing function definition for `task_prepareapt'
Stopping deferred execution scheduler: atd.
Stopping deferred execution scheduler: atd.
Unpacking replacement at ...
…
Unpacking replacement modutils ...
Preparing to replace procps 1:2.0.7-8
(using .../procps_1%3a3.1.15-1_i386.deb) ... /bin/sh: task_prepareapt:
line 17: syntax error near unexpected token `;' /bin/sh:
task_prepareapt: line 17: `;' /bin/sh: error importing function
definition for `task_prepareapt' Unpacking replacement procps ...

I've investigated to understand the error, and found that the
task_prepareapt function (and other FAI ones defined
in /usr/lib/fai/subroutines) are transmitted through environment
from /etc/init.d/rcS to FAI config scripts (like the hook script which
install these packages) and even in the commands run in the chroot !
These error messages are reported by <package>.p[re|ost]inst scripts
called by apt-get inside the chroot !

  I didn't find if it's a new property of FAI 3.3, but didn't have this
kind of error before. I didn't equally found how to workaround it, i.e.
to reset the environment for commands which don't need FAI
configuration definitions, like apt-get command run in the chroot :
have you any idea about this ?

	with regards,
		Fred.