FAI 3.3 released

Henning Sprang henning.sprang at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 14:23:32 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Joel Merrick <joel.merrick at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the templating within Chef capability for a start.

O.K., i probably have to check it out.

For FAI, somebody documeted an approach for configfile-templating in
the Wiki - basically, templating in FAI is possible with everything
from sed to special Text templating systems.

> I'm not entirely sure that you'd be able to achieve the flexibility of chef
> with FAI's softupdates, although my knowledge of softupdates is fairly
> limited I'm afraid. If you have any additional reading, feel free to send it
> my way :)

Softupdate is basically running fai package installation and scripts
on a running/installed system - the install without the partitioning
and base deploy.

So, it's also extremely flexible - which might be good or bad
depending on what you want to do or like.

In other terms:FAI scripts don't have much straucture or knowledge of
each other, as puppet knows about all resources in a central place.

Henning