FAI 3.3 released

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Wed Nov 4 13:38:08 CET 2009

Hi,

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:22:30 +0100
Henning Sprang <henning.sprang at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Joel Merrick
> <joel.merrick at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Exactly the same here... only with Chef[1], rather than Puppet
> >
> > [1] http://www.opscode.com/chef
>
> Do you have some information on the differences(pros and cons) of
> managing configurations with FAI softupdate versus Chef?
>
> I have some experience with Puppet, and find it different, but not
> entirely better than softupdates with FAI - but I see these tools as
> important "competitors" of FAI.

Actually we are doing this:

1. Minimal Deployment of Ubuntu/Debian with FAI
   (OS, IPs, snmpd, puppetclient)
2. After reboot into the production ready host,
   puppetclient fires up and does the rest of configuration management,
   installation of additional packages, and as well doing later on e.g.
   /etc/network/interfaces management

(informations like ip etc. are coming from a database, which is used
from FAI deployment and puppetmaster factor stuff to keep them in sync)

Regards,
\sh

--
| Stephan '\sh' Hermann    | OSS Dev / SysAdmin         |
| JID: sh at linux-server.org | http://www.sourcecode.de/  |