FAI 3.3 released

Joel Merrick joel.merrick at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 13:28:35 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Henning Sprang <henning.sprang at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Joel,

Hi!

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Joel Merrick <joel.merrick at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Exactly the same here... only with Chef[1], rather than Puppet
> >
> > [1] http://www.opscode.com/chef
>
> Do you have some information on the differences(pros and cons) of
> managing configurations with FAI softupdate versus Chef?

Well, the templating within Chef capability for a start.

It's extremely flexible. Plus as it's written in pure ruby, it's extensible
(think reading in user information from ldap or SQL etc..)

I'm not entirely sure that you'd be able to achieve the flexibility of chef
with FAI's softupdates, although my knowledge of softupdates is fairly
limited I'm afraid. If you have any additional reading, feel free to send it
my way :)

--
$ echo "kpfmAdpoofdufevq/dp/vl" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'