setup-storage: error

Alexander Bugl alexander.bugl at zmaw.de
Fri May 15 10:49:38 CEST 2009

Hi!

>>> Could you post the result of the following commands, they are the ones
>>> used by setup-storage to find the disk configuration:
>>> # parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print
>>> # parted -s /dev/sda unit chs print free

>> Both produce the same result:
>> # parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print
>> Error: /dev/sda: unrecognised disk label
>> # parted -s /dev/sda unit chs print free
>> Error: /dev/sda: unrecognised disk label
>> But shouldn't the disk label be set by setup-storage?
>> disk_config sda disklabel:msdos

> Yes, it's supposed to do so with "parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos", but
> for some reason it has not, and neither has printed any error message
> about it. Strange. I'm afraid you will have to wait for Michael for an
> explanation.
> In the meanwhile you could try to label the disk yourself, it might be
> enough to make setup-storage happy.

Tried that, after manually labeling the drive both "parted" commands
produced no errors, so I restarted the installation. But it still stops
with error:

++ debug=1
Calling task_install
Calling task_partition
Partitioning local harddisks using setup-storage
Starting setup-storage 1.0.5
disklist was:
Using config file: /var/lib/fai/config/disk_config/SDA_VAR_SRV
Input was:
# generic disk configuration for one disk

# example of new config file for setup-storage

disk_config sda disklabel:msdos

primary  /               12G     ext3   rw,errors=remount-ro
primary  swap            4G      swap   rw
logical  /tmp            2G      ext3   rw         createopts="-m 1"
logical  /var            50G-    ext3   rw         createopts="-m 5"
logical  /srv            0-      ext3   rw,nosuid  createopts="-m 0"
tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
    Finding all volume groups
(CMD) mdadm --detail --scan --verbose -c partitions 1> /tmp/NK3gF2m23R
2> /tmp/nvwKB7nfm9
Executing: mdadm --detail --scan --verbose -c partitions
Use of uninitialized value in multiplication (*) at
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Sizes.pm line 628.
Use of uninitialized value in multiplication (*) at
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Sizes.pm line 628.
Use of uninitialized value in multiplication (*) at
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Sizes.pm line 632.
Use of uninitialized value in multiplication (*) at
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Sizes.pm line 632.
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Sizes.pm line 434.
INTERNAL ERROR in setup-storage:
convert_unit B
Please report this error to the Debian Bug Tracking System.
Current disk layout
$VAR1 = {};
Current LVM layout
$VAR1 = {};
Current RAID layout
$VAR1 = {};
Error in task partition. Traceback: task_error task_partition task
task_install task task_action task main
FATAL ERROR. Installation stopped.

# parted -s /dev/sda unit TiB print
Model: Sun VOL00 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 0.13TiB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start  End  Size  Type  File system  Flags

# parted -s /dev/sda unit chs print free
Model: Sun VOL00 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 17833,120,14
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
BIOS cylinder,head,sector geometry: 17833,255,63.  Each cylinder is 8225kB.
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start  End           Type  File system  Flags
        0,0,0  17833,120,14        Free Space

Any help is highly appreciated ...

With regards, Alex

--
Alexander Bugl,  Central IT Services, ZMAW
Max  Planck  Institute   for   Meteorology