System stalls (for 15-30 minutes) during savelog

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Thu May 7 16:54:18 CEST 2009

    > It always fails when trying to transfer the content of dmesg, thus on
    > the FAI server this file is always of size 0 while other files before
    > are transferred fine. This was tested with both rsh and ssh.
Strange.

In the past I also had a machine were I got the strange strings in the
kernel logs (looks a little bit like rot-13). But I can't remember how
I fixed it.

    > Also, when I log into the system via ssh and call dmesg interactively,
    > it also kills the network interface and the install then of course
Maybe some strange chars in dmesg causes the network break, but I'm
sure that's a kernel problem with your hardware.

Can you try you configuration with another piece of hardware.
Did you run memtest86+ on this machine?