busybox in lenny without NFS support for FAI

Michal Svamberg svamberg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 15:49:25 CET 2009

Hello,
I am upgrading FAI to lenny and using packages
fai-server,linux-image-2.6.26-1-amd64, busybox and initramfs-tools
to create nfsroot. On the server I use nfs-user-server
with --re-export for cross-mounting AFS to NFS.

The problem is in busybox and initramfs-tools. The busybox
from lenny does not support NFS (I must recompile the
package with CONFIG_FEATURE_MOUNT_NFS=y)
and manually install to nfsroot. The initramfs-tools do not
support mounting NFS with 'mount -t nfs', only with 'nfsmount'.
I changed the /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/live file in nfsroot
(replacing 'nfsmount' with 'mount -t > nfs' and reordering params).

Them I created a new initrd: chroot /var/lib/fai/nfsroot/
mount none /proc -t proc
rm /boot/initrd*
update-initramfs -c -k all
umount /proc
exit
cp /var/lib/fai/nfsroot/boot/initrd* <tftp_server>

The support for FAI in lenny is not perfect; are there any other
solutions that do not require you to recompile or change standard packages?

Regards Michal Svamberg