Problem with FAI on Lenny

Ben Willcox ben.willcox at british-gymnastics.org
Fri Mar 27 11:23:17 CET 2009

> could you please update your FAI qwuestionnaire and sent it back to
> me. Your last questionnaire qas filled out in 2005.

Thanks Thomas, I will do that.

> Maybe the network card is not detected, and the nfsroot cannot be mounted.

It does say that the nfsroot was mounted, and I get a message in the
server syslog to say this has happened.

> No. You should always use the command fai-chboot to create the
> pxelinux.cfg files. The rootpath should be the one without live/filesystem.dir.

Ok presumably the initial fai-setup command did this for me the first
time? Even though I ready the fai-chboot manual, I'm still not clear
about what parameters I need to pass it to simply have all hosts use the
default plain debian kernel.

> The question is if you are still inside the initrd, you if you have
> already seen the red FAI logo?
> Are you using the plain debian kernel for booting the install client?
> In the past we used a special kernel, now FAI uses a plain Debian
> kernel with initrd.

I am using the plain debian kernal to my knowledge, I just installed the
default fai examples and fai-quickstart, and haven't yet tried to
specify any extra kernels.

> Maybe you like to join the #fai channel on irc.debian.org were you can
> get quick help. For e.g. put your

Thanks, I have to go into some meetings now so I don't know when I will
be able, but I will do this when I can.

Thanks,
Ben