Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty FAI howto

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Sun Jun 28 14:19:18 CEST 2009

Hi Henning,
thanks for your feedback! I've written my comments inline.

Henning Sprang wrote:
> What you should mention is, that this is also a Howto for getting FAI up
> and running on an Ubuntu Server! I didn't try that myself for a long
> while, but from thinghs I read in the list and IRC I was thinking FAI
> server support is broken in UBuntu.
Ok, I've clarified in the wiki that I'm actually talking about Ubuntu
server.

I thought as well that fai is broken on ubuntu server. But following the
steps described in the howto, it actually works. I've tested it on
existing installs as well as several vanilla installs. More testing from
third parties is explicitly wanted though :-)

> I don't exactly understand the part " Activate routing" - it might be
> very specific to the way you build your testing network,
> maybe you should describe the whole network setup you assume to be used.
That's because of the assumed network configuration as described in the
article. I agree, this is confusing in the wiki, since it is quite
specific to the assumed network layout. I've tried to clarify things
during my latest edit.

> And, very last, some parts (especially the explanations and listings of
> party of the configspace) look like these are things that are already
> described in the configspace - maybe it could be made shorter by just
> linking to other docs.
> I might oversee that you show only things specific to your Ubuntu setup
> - in that case, forget that remark :)
Well, that's because of two things:

(1) I wanted to offer a complete howto where anyone can setup fai
without any (or at least, very few) prior knowledge. Therefore I
described *everything* needed to get up and running from ground-up.
Anyone can skip this part.

(2) Nevertheless, some things are indeed quite specific. E.g. I included
the FAIUbuntuGrubProblems steps or the whole german keyboard layout
topic. Some things took me quite some time to find out and I had to go
through much testing, so I'm hoping to save the reader a bit of time.

> Thanks for your efforts!
Thank YOU for helping out others here on this list!

Cheers,
Robert