Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty FAI howto

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Sun Jun 28 13:28:29 CEST 2009

Hi Robert,

Robert Markula wrote:
> Hi list,
> I've just finished my first HowTo in the wiki [1].

Great, thanks!

> Since it is my first FAI howto, I hope I did not violate any rules. I'd
> be happy for any comments and suggestions!

It really looks quite good, but yes, I have some hints about possible
improvements that come to my mind when skimming over it:

What you should mention is, that this is also a Howto for getting FAI up
and running on an Ubuntu Server! I didn't try that myself for a long
while, but from thinghs I read in the list and IRC I was thinking FAI
server support is broken in UBuntu.

I don't exactly understand the part " Activate routing" - it might be
very specific to the way you build your testing network,
maybe you should describe the whole network setup you assume to be used.

And, very last, some parts (especially the explanations and listings of
party of the configspace) look like these are things that are already
described in the configspace - maybe it could be made shorter by just
linking to other docs.
I might oversee that you show only things specific to your Ubuntu setup
- in that case, forget that remark :)

> Also, as mentioned in the WIKI, due to the lack of physical machines, I
> was only able to test this in a VirtualBox environment. It should work
> in a 'real' environment nevertheless, but here I depend on your feedback.

I'll not come to really test every step out, but usually, things whould
work very similar if you connect the cables the same way as the virtualy
machines are attched top each other...

Thanks for your efforts!

Henning