How to start a new faiserver with fai CD?

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Thu Feb 19 15:16:28 CET 2009

Hi Andreas,
I'm not sure I really get your problem/question. (and that might be the
reason you get no answers as of yet).

So you tried to install from the ready-delivered fai-cd.iso from the fai
website and try to setup a FAI Server based on this Lenny machine?

Or are you trying to build a fai-cd from a manually installed Lenny System?

Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:
> Does I make something wrong or are these real bugs?

If the fai-cd.iso comes saying that it installs a FAI server ready to
run, but it doesn't, and when it deosn't even properly set variables
which are  mandatory, it sounds like a bug.

Also, When you install the fai-server package, and fai-setup fails with
the default install because the config is missing some bits, it's
probably a minor bug.
(it's disputable if a package must work with the default config - one
can argue the admin must set config right before trying to run, but also
one can argue the default should normally lead to a somehow working
system unless that would disturb other services.)

> I also check the other way with:
>
> fai-mirror /home/mirror
> works fine.

> fai-cd -m /home/mirror faicd.iso

> mkisofs is missing in lenny?

mkisofs is already gone since Etch. But there is a replacement as far as
I remember.

But FAI does not automatically install all fai-cd dependencies. Make
sure you install all the recommends and suggests for testing.

> fai-cd -m /home/mirror -u /media/usbstick
> (/media/usbstick 1GB usbstick mounted with ext3)
>
> Begin to boot but stops with: Waiting for root file system!

There's something wrong, yeah. Does it work with the iso on  cd?
Was your nfsroot properly created, and did it work for a network install?

Henning

- --
Henning Sprang
http://www.sprang.de