How to start a new faiserver with fai CD?

Andreas Schockenhoff asc at gmx.li
Wed Feb 18 20:58:13 CET 2009

Hi,

after a long time I like to set up a fai server again. And test some of
the new features like fai on usb stick.

Install from FAI-CD / faiserver. (using FAI 3.2.16, 2.6.26 kernel from
lenny, size 640MB, build Mon 16 Feb 2009 04:21:19 PM CET)

Ok System install

Reboot and: make-fai-nfsroot

TFTPROOT in make-fai-nfsroot.conf is not set.
Set it to /srv/tftp

Oh /srv is mounted with nosuid change it and remount.

now make-fai-nfsroot works.

Does I make something wrong or are these real bugs?

I also check the other way with:

fai-mirror /home/mirror
works fine.

fai-cd -m /home/mirror faicd.iso
mkisofs is missing in lenny?

fai-cd -m /home/mirror -u /media/usbstick
(/media/usbstick 1GB usbstick mounted with ext3)

Begin to boot but stops with: Waiting for root file system!

Not a great day for me

regards Andreas