FAI, Softupdates and /var/run as tmpfs

Axel Freyn axel-freyn at gmx.de
Tue Feb 17 17:21:06 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 04:32:58PM +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > I'm using FAI 3.2.16 with lenny. In order to avoid problems with
>     > clients which are not shut down properly by the users, I mount /var/run
>     > and /var/run as tmpfs (by defining RAMLOCK=yes and RAMRUN=yes in
>     > /etc/default/tmpfs).
> AFAIK this does not work if /var is a seperate partition. See http://bugs.debian.org/423405
>
> Have also a look at bug #464541, maybe it's related to your problem.

These two bugs are different: The client only uses one partition, my
problem appears (I think...) only inside FAI, as FAI (when using
softupdates) seems to expect that the directory /var/run/fai (which is
created by the package fai-client) persists during reboots - which of
course is not the case then /var/run is mountet as tmpfs
> If not, it would be nice if you could file an additional bug
> report. This is the best method so I will not forget to fix your bug.
It is #515775.

Axel