ERROR: NFSROOT directory ... is mounted using nosuid or nodev

Emil Gorter emil at ripe.net
Thu Aug 13 14:49:13 CEST 2009

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:57:01 +0200,
Peter Bittner <peter.bittner at thalesgroup.com> wrote:
> I still have a small issue, though, which seems to be known already:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-fai@uni-koeln.de/msg00518.html
> Apt-proxy complains "Bad header" and waits for long timeouts. The
> related output during the installation looks like this:
>   W: Failed to fetch
> http://<myservername>:9999/debian/dists/lenny/Release.gpg  Bad header
> line [IP: 192.168.0.200 9999]
>   (etc.)
>   E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
>   Reading package lists...

I've seen similar problems with apt-proxy years ago.  My workplace no
longer uses FAI unfortunately, but I still have some notes :-)

I used to get:

=-=-
99% [4 Packages bzip2 0] [Waiting for headers]
bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.
        Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.
=-=-

I found no corruption but I got things working again by cleaning out
the security packages cache on the server:

 /etc/init.d/apt-proxy stop
 rm -r /srv/apt-proxy/ubuntu/dists/edgy-security/
 /etc/init.d/apt-proxy start

It only happened with the security cache, in my case.

> (Note that I have changed the IP address of the server from
> 192.168.1.250 to 192.168.0.200)
>
> I assume this is not critical and the packages are simply not updated
> from the public Debian repository in the Internet (as the installing
> host does not have an Internet connection). Can you confirm?

In my case nothing would get installed at all until the proxy got
cleaned.  In the end I decided to get sec. updates from the mirror
directly and not via my proxy.

Hope this helps..

E m i l .