trying to understand setup-storage

Toni Mueller support-fai at oeko.net
Mon Aug 10 12:43:08 CEST 2009

Hello,

I am still trying to install an almost brand-new amd64 machine using
FAI 3.2.20, with the following setup.

* two disks as two raid1 sets (/boot + lvm for everything else)
* /boot on md0, the rest in one big volume group

Initially, my setup-storage file looked like this:

--------------------- cut
primary         -                200    -       -
primary         -                  0-   -       -

disk_config sdb bootable:1
primary         -                200    -       -
primary         -                  0-   -       -

disk_config raid
raid1           /boot           sda1,sdb1  ext2  rw
raid1           -               sda2,sdb2  -    -

disk_config lvm

vg uv0 md1

uv0-root        /               500    ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro
uv0-swap        swap            4096    swap    sw
uv0-usr         /usr           20480    ext3    rw
uv0-var         /var            2048    ext3    rw
uv0-qmail       /var/qmail        200    ext3    rw
uv0-home       /home        60000-    ext3    rw
uv0-var_log    /var/log        1024    ext3    rw
uv0-qmail_queue    /var/qmail/queue  1024    ext3    rw
--------------------- cut

After resolving a module related problem (see other thread), the
installation almost completed. I made some errors in my configuration,
though and wanted to re-run the installation, but without the two or
three hours delay that are attributable to the creation and re-syncing
of the software raid, if possible. Therefore, I changed the
setup-storage configuration file to:

--------------------- cut
disk_config sda bootable:1 preserve_reinstall:1,2
primary         -                200    -       -
primary         -                  0-   -       -

disk_config sdb bootable:1 preserve_reinstall:1,2
primary         -                200    -       -
primary         -                  0-   -       -

disk_config raid preserve_reinstall:1,2
raid1           /boot           sda1,sdb1  ext2  rw
raid1           -               sda2,sdb2  -    -

# disk_config lvm preserve_reinstall:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

disk_config lvm preserve_reinstall:1-8

vg uv0 md1

uv0-root        /               500    ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro
uv0-swap        swap            4096    swap    sw
uv0-usr         /usr           20480    ext3    rw
uv0-var         /var            2048    ext3    rw
uv0-qmail       /var/qmail        200    ext3    rw
uv0-home       /home        60000-    ext3    rw
uv0-var_log    /var/log        1024    ext3    rw
uv0-qmail_queue    /var/qmail/queue  1024    ext3    rw
--------------------- cut

 [ minor gripe: When I first tried to say this:
   "preserve_reinstall:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8", setup-storage errored out,
   talking something about a syntax error. ]

With this configuration, I now get another problem that I'm unsure
about how to solve:

Starting setup-storage 1.0.5
Can't preserve /dev/md1 because it is not defined in the current config

This I don't understand because I only added "preserve_reinstall
attributes" to all partitions, but didn't really change anything.
Running "mdadm-startall" gives me the two raid partitions back,
although with errors:

installclient# mdadm-startall
W: mdadm: using ARRAYs defined in existing mdadm.conf.
Assembling MD array md0...failed (no devices found).
Assembling MD array md1...failed (no devices found).
Assembling MD array md2...failed (no devices found).
Assembling MD array md3...failed (no devices found).
Assembling MD array md1...done (started [2/2]).
Assembling MD array md0...done (started [2/2]).
Generating udev events for MD arrays...done.

installclient# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 sdb2[0] sda2[1]
      488183104 blocks [2/2] [UU]