ERROR: NFSROOT directory ... is mounted using nosuid or nodev

Peter Bittner peter.bittner at thalesgroup.com
Mon Aug 10 14:57:01 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 13:44 +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
> Read the error message. It says, that you have mounted the directory (maybe
> /srv) with options nosuid or nodev. This does not work. Change the
> mount options in /etc/fstab, remove nosuid and/or nodev and try again.

I didn't touch /etc/fstab after the installation, and - yes - it
contains a line which mounts /srv with options "rw,nosuid". After
removing the nosuid option the installation works. THANKS!
(Is this a bug of the .iso, similar to the missing TFTPROOT
in /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf?)

I still have a small issue, though, which seems to be known already:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-fai@uni-koeln.de/msg00518.html
Apt-proxy complains "Bad header" and waits for long timeouts. The
related output during the installation looks like this:

  Creating base.tgz
  Upgrading /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir
  Ign http://<myservername> lenny Release.gpg
  Err http://<myservername> lenny Release.gpg
    Bad header line [IP: 192.168.0.200 9999]
  Err http://<myservername> lenny/updates Release.gpg
    Bad header line [IP: 192.168.0.200 9999]
  Hit http://<myservername> lenny Release
  Ign http://<myservername> lenny Release
  Ign http://<myservername> lenny/updates Release
  Hit http://<myservername> lenny/main Packages
  Err http://<myservername> lenny/main Packages
    Connection failed [IP: 192.168.0.200 9999]
  Err http://<myservername> lenny/contrib Packages
    Connection failed [IP: 192.168.0.200 9999]
  W: Failed to fetch
http://<myservername>:9999/debian/dists/lenny/Release.gpg  Bad header
line [IP: 192.168.0.200 9999]
  (etc.)
  E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.
  Reading package lists...

(Note that I have changed the IP address of the server from
192.168.1.250 to 192.168.0.200)

I assume this is not critical and the packages are simply not updated
from the public Debian repository in the Internet (as the installing
host does not have an Internet connection). Can you confirm?

Cheers, Peter