FAI 3.2.20 on Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy)

Darshaka Pathirana dpat at syn-net.org
Tue Aug 11 10:52:31 CEST 2009

On 11.08.2009 10:40, Henning Sprang wrote:
> Garb Dowle wrote:
>> currently I have FAI 3.2.4+svn4837-0ubuntu2 installed on Ubuntu 8.04
>> Server. I managed to set it up so that I can successfully install Ubuntu
>> 8.04 clients with PXE.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> So how can I use setup-storage with LVM support in Ubuntu 8.04?
>
> Installing Ubuntu from a Debian server runs quite smooth - so that could
> be one option.
>
> Apart from that, you could search the mail archive and see what others
> report about using Ubuntu as a FAI server.
>
> Maybe you can just try to use the FAI packages from a newer Ubuntu
> version.

JFYI: FAI in Ubuntu is far out of date (even in karmic):

[1] http://preview.tinyurl.com/n5rpsh

But there is a bug filed about that problem (and it seems to be more
complicated than it might seem at first):

[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fai/+bug/338157

So the easiest solution might really be to switch to Debian/Lenny as
a FAI-Server!

Greetings,
 - Darsha