FAI 3.2.20 on Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy)

Henning Sprang henning at sprang.de
Tue Aug 11 10:40:00 CEST 2009

Hi Garb,

I have no real solution, but try to give you some hints at least:
I don't know about the exact state of FAI packages for Ubuntu Servers,
as I'm still using Ubuntu on Desktop machines only.

Garb Dowle wrote:
> currently I have FAI 3.2.4+svn4837-0ubuntu2 installed on Ubuntu 8.04
> Server. I managed to set it up so that I can successfully install Ubuntu
> 8.04 clients with PXE.
> Now I need support for LVM, and I think this version of FAI doesn't
> support LVM.

Right, this version doesn't. But it sounds a bit odd that

> I would like to install FAI 3.2.20 on my Ubuntu 8.04 Server, so that I
> can use "setup-storage" rather than "setup_harddisks", but I don't know
> how to do it.
> I tried to download and install the deb-packages for this version, but I
> got a list of dependency errors, that I can't resolve (can't install
> package "syslinux-common").

Sure, the dependencies are made for packages on Debian - Ubuntu has
quite a bit of differences in package availability and naming.

> So how can I use setup-storage with LVM support in Ubuntu 8.04?

Installing Ubuntu from a Debian server runs quite smooth - so that could
be one option.

Apart from that, you could search the mail archive and see what others
report about using Ubuntu as a FAI server.

Maybe you can just try to use the FAI packages from a newer Ubuntu
version. Or you can try to use the setup-storage programs by calling
them in a hook. Or, probably the path with the most work, you could take
the newest FAI sources from SVN and try to fix the differences in the
dependencies.

All of them can be quite a bit of work.

I'm not really happy that FAI doesn't properly to be run on Ubuntu as a
server - but I have not enough time to take on the necessary work top
change this.

Henning