make-fai-bootfloppy?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed Apr 29 18:19:53 CEST 2009

    > The problem is that I cannot do a PXE boot because I'm blind and I cannot
    > change the  BIOS. But the computers I need to install on are already set up
    > to boot from a CD. It doesn't look like fai-cd does what I want. I am
    > wondering if the old functionality of booting from a CD and mounting the
    > root via NFS can still be done.
Hi John,

yes this can be done, but does not work out of the box.
I would try it this way:

Use fai-cd to create a bootable CD, but use an empty mirror. Even if
the nfsroot and the config space is now copied onto the CD, you can
force the initrd to mount the NFSROOT via NFS, and not use the one
from CD. Same applies for the config space. IMO you only have to
change the kernel append parameters in the menu.lst file that will be
put onto the CD.

Following option are responsible that the initrd will NOT search for a
local file system to mount.

ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroot boot=live

Hope this helps.

P.S: I plan to add an option to fai-cd, that creates such a boot-only
CD, but I don't know when it's finished.