make-fai-bootfloppy?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 29 21:18:40 CEST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Lange" <lange at informatik.uni-> Hi >
> yes this can be done, but does not work out of the box.
> I would try it this way:
>
> Use fai-cd to create a bootable CD, but use an empty mirror. Even if
> the nfsroot and the config space is now copied onto the CD, you can
> force the initrd to mount the NFSROOT via NFS, and not use the one
> from CD. Same applies for the config space. IMO you only have to
> change the kernel append parameters in the menu.lst file that will be
> put onto the CD.
>
> Following option are responsible that the initrd will NOT search for a
> local file system to mount.
>
> ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroot boot=live
>
> Hope this helps.

I added a boot stanza to the menu.lst like this:

title Fully Automatic Installation  via NFS
kernel /boot/vmlinuz boot=live FAI_FLAGS="verbose,createvt"
FAI_ACTION=install ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/srv/fai/nfsroot
initrd /boot/initrd.img

Any tips on re-making the iso? What parameters do I need to pass to mkisofs?

> P.S: I plan to add an option to fai-cd, that creates such a boot-only
> CD, but I don't know when it's finished.

That sounds good to me. I do not hink I will ever use the non-NFS install
because I have to get speech somehow. I still haven't figured that out yet.
But I think I can modify the /etc/modules file in my nfsroot to add the
speech module and tha will be it.