fai for ubuntu intrepid 8.10 clients?

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Wed Nov 26 16:26:28 CET 2008

On Wednesday, 26. November 2008, you wrote:
> Achim Bohnet wrote:

> >> For what it's worth, I took the Lenny packages from Tomas Lange's
> >> website (3.2.14) and adapted it for Hardy.  Works fine, but it did
> >> require some massaging to alter the package names (for example, the
> >> aufs packages in Ubuntu are provided by linux-ubuntu-modules and it's
> >> ilk), kernel names, and other differences.
> >
> > The ubuntu fai pkgs are build for an lauchpad bzr repo:  lp:fai/ubuntu
> > See https://code.launchpad.net/fai.   You can compare to lp:fai branch
> > with correponds to the debians code or build the ubuntu fai package.
> > The diff.gz will contain the ubuntu changes.
> >
> > Would be nice if you could merge your changes.  Or sent the diff
> > compared to debians sources.
>
> Well, my installation is kind of hacked up now; I've completely removed
> the FAIBASE, GERMAN, and other classes that I never use.  And,
> unfortunately, my FAI server isn't even Hardy yet, I'm just using it to
> install Hardy clients.  So it wouldn't be a very pristine diff -
> definitely not representative of a stock installation.  But, if you give
> me a week or two (perhaps over this holiday weekend I can find some
> time), I can try to grab a virgin copy of 3.2.14 on a Hardy box and
> generate a diff.  Are the Intrepid packages much different than the
> Hardy packages?  I admit, I'm guilty of not having looked at the repo in
> quite some time, since I needed a more bleeding edge version than what
> was available from those repo's when I constructed my FAI server.

While pkg repo is not up to date, the bzr repo is ;)  but it's initrd is
messed up somehow.  the diff between bzr and 3.2.14 is not big (attached).

Similar?

revno: 27
committer: Achim Bohnet <ach at mpe.mpg.de>
branch nick: ubuntu
timestamp: Mon 2008-10-06 14:51:28 +0200
message:
  * conf/make-fai-nfsroot.conf: add aptitude to pkgs installed into the
    base tarball.  As NFSROOT pkgs could not be installed via aptitude any-
    more in intrepid.

I had a unknown en_US.UTF-8 error msg

revno: 28
committer: Achim Bohnet <ach at mpe.mpg.de>
branch nick: ubuntu
timestamp: Fri 2008-10-10 17:38:35 +0200
message:
  * conf/NFSROOT: add package language-pack-en-base.  Stops perl & co
    complaining that locale en_US.UTF-8 is not defined.

> > Ah that's interesting.
>
> If that's something folks are hitting, we should probably get some more
> detail about what the user did to resolve the problem.

> >> Are libsepol1 and libsepol1-dev both installed?
> >
> > I run into the sam problem.  It's not missing or wronge packages.
> > For whatever reason most path include a /root prefix so binaries
> > and libs are ther but not found.
> >
> > I've compared a lenny nfsroot/initrd with the ones from ubuntu
> > but could not find the reason :(
>
> This is something that I never hit when converting the Lenny packages to
> Hardy.  But your explanation isn't very clear to me - what do you mean
> 'most path include a /root prefix'?  I can interpret that in several ways.

When you look at the error messages you see there are path like
/root/etc/whatever /root/usr/bin  /root/usr/lib.   So lib like libpcre
or programs as wc can't of course be found.

Achim

> >> Is the wc problem in the config space or in the client (/target)
> >> space?  You can chroot into the nfsroot on your FAI server to find
> >> out pre-installation if it's in the nfsroot, and drop to a busybox
> >> shell with a ctrl+c during the installation to find out if wc is
> >> present in the client space.
> >
> > Again wrong file path spec.   wc and libs are there.  Only not found.
>
> Again, please clarify your statement above.

> >> Do an 'apt-cache search libpcre'; the answer should be self-evident.

> >> This is because the locale is not being set during the installation.
> >> Make sure belocs-locales-bin, locales, and util-linux-locales are in
> >> the list of packages installed to the client.  You can then make a
> >> custom script that executes something like the following to make sure
> >> it's the default locale when you reboot:
> >>
> >> $ROOTCMD bash -x -c "echo \"LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LANGUAGE='en_US.UTF-8' LC_CTYPE='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LC_NUMERIC='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LC_TIME='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LC_COLLATE='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LC_MONETARY='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LC_MESSAGES='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LC_PAPER='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LC_NAME='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LC_ADDRESS='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LC_TELEPHONE='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LC_MEASUREMENT='en_US.UTF-8'
> >> LC_IDENTIFICATION='en_US.UTF-8'\" >> /etc/environment"
> >
> > As long as LC_* is not expictly set, the default to LANG.  So
> > equivalent version is
> >
> > $ROOTCMD bash -x -c "echo LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> > LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-*" >> /etc/environment
> >
> > Maybe I'm wrong but I think LANGUAGE is just set to en
> >

> No, I believe you are right.  I just like to be very explicit in my
> config settings, instead of relying on implicit rules.  Just in case
> there is some edge case I don't know about.  I don't know if it's
> practical paranoia or not, but it certainly doesn't hurt, and required
> only a few extra keystrokes :)

/me is a lazy typer ;)

> >> That's just off the top of my head, so there may be typos :P
> >
> > Same for me ;)
> >

> > Once more please feel free to look at the sources at bzr branch
> > lp:fai/ubuntu    It contains latest debian code + ubuntu changes
> > but does not boot due to the  /root prefix that comes from nowhere.
> >
> > Any help fixing it is welcome.
>
> Are these built for Intrepid?  I haven't had time to look at the repo
> yet, but if so, I suppose I can put Intrepid on one of my boxes this
> weekend (I've been meaning to do that anyways) and give it the old
> college try.

You can checkout in hardy or intrepid  lp:fai/ubuntu and run debuild to
get pkgs.  I do it all the time like this.

Achim

                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com