fai for ubuntu intrepid 8.10 clients?

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Tue Nov 25 23:13:10 CET 2008

Am 25.11.2008 um 20:32 schrieb Ryan Steele:

> Adrian Gibanel Lopez wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>

>>    This is my first message. I am trying to setup FAI so that it
>> serves
>> Ubuntu 8.10 as the client system.
>>    I've already checked in launchpad that ubuntu's intrepid's fai
>> package
>> has been updated to gutsy. But hardy ?
>>

> For what it's worth, I took the Lenny packages from Tomas Lange's
> website (3.2.14) and adapted it for Hardy.  Works fine, but it did
> require some massaging to alter the package names (for example, the
> aufs packages in Ubuntu are provided by linux-ubuntu-modules and
> it's ilk), kernel names, and other differences.

The ubuntu fai pkgs are build for an lauchpad bzr repo:  lp:fai/ubuntu
See https://code.launchpad.net/fai.   You can compare to lp:fai branch
with correponds to the debians code or build the ubuntu fai package.
The diff.gz will contain the ubuntu changes.

Would be nice if you could merge your changes.  Or sent the diff
compared to debians sources.

>>    Here there are some of the things that I have done so far:
>>
>> - Added 192.168.1.5 demohost line to /etc/hosts line.
>> - Setup /etc/fai/apt/sources.list to intrepid
>> - Setup /etc/default/tftpd-hpa to my config.
>> - Idem with /etc/dhpc3/dhcp.conf
>> - Modified:
>>    FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="intrepid
>> file:/home/ubuntu_mirrors/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu"
>>
>> and:
>>
>> FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--exclude=dhcp-client,info
>> --include=aptitude,fontconfig,defoma,belocs-locales-bin"
>>
>> in /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf.
>>
>> First line is obvious.
>>
>> The second line tried to fix a bug about aptitute command not being
>> found
>> (now it is found) and the fontconfig,deforma,belocs-locales-bin
>> tried to
>> fix some lack of packages on the client (I think so) because of
>> some error
>> that I have.

Ah that's interesting.

>> - Modified NFSROOT so that: console-tools and sysvinit are not
>> installed
>> and upstart is installed. (I thought that it was the origin of the
>> client
>> problems but I am not sure any more.)
>>
>> - Followed the quick-start guide (copied the examples and so on)
>>
>> Once fai-setup -v is finished I try to boot the client.
>>
>> * It fetches ok kernel and initrd. I think it mounts the nfs ok.
>>
>> However I am not very about itbecause it often outputs:
>>
>> mount: error while loading share libraries: libsepol.so.1
>>
>> I have checked the NFSROOT interpretation by make-fai-nfsroot and
>> libsepol
>> seems to be installed ok so I do not understand why that happens.
>>

> Are libsepol1 and libsepol1-dev both installed?

I run into the sam problem.  It's not missing or wronge packages.
For whatever reason most path include a /root prefix so binaries
and libs are ther but not found.

I've compared a lenny nfsroot/initrd with the ones from ubuntu
but could not find the reason :(

>> * It outputs wc not found but coreutils seems to be installed. Is
>> there
>> any place where might I check the PATH?
>>

> Is the wc problem in the config space or in the client (/target)
> space?  You can chroot into the nfsroot on your FAI server to find
> out pre-installation if it's in the nfsroot, and drop to a busybox
> shell with a ctrl+c during the installation to find out if wc is
> present in the client space.

Again wrong file path spec.   wc and libs are there.  Only not found.

>> * It outputs grep: error while loading libpcre.so.3. What's the
>> associate
>> package for that?
>>

> Do an 'apt-cache search libpcre'; the answer should be self-evident.
>
>> * It outputs complaints about perl because of en_US.UTF_8 locale
>> not being
>> correctly installed. How do I fix it? (It is very annoying).
>>

> This is because the locale is not being set during the
> installation.  Make sure belocs-locales-bin, locales, and util-linux-
> locales are in the list of packages installed to the client.  You
> can then make a custom script that executes something like the
> following to make sure it's the default locale when you reboot:
>
> $ROOTCMD bash -x -c "echo \"LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
> LANGUAGE='en_US.UTF-8' LC_CTYPE='en_US.UTF-8'
> LC_NUMERIC='en_US.UTF-8'
> LC_TIME='en_US.UTF-8'
> LC_COLLATE='en_US.UTF-8'
> LC_MONETARY='en_US.UTF-8'
> LC_MESSAGES='en_US.UTF-8'
> LC_PAPER='en_US.UTF-8'
> LC_NAME='en_US.UTF-8'
> LC_ADDRESS='en_US.UTF-8'
> LC_TELEPHONE='en_US.UTF-8'
> LC_MEASUREMENT='en_US.UTF-8'
> LC_IDENTIFICATION='en_US.UTF-8'\" >> /etc/environment"

As long as LC_* is not expictly set, the default to LANG.  So
equivalent version is

$ROOTCMD bash -x -c "echo LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-*" >> /etc/environment

Maybe I'm wrong but I think LANGUAGE is just set to en

> That's just off the top of my head, so there may be typos :P

Same for me ;)

Once more please feel free to look at the sources at bzr branch
lp:fai/ubuntu    It contains latest debian code + ubuntu changes
but does not boot due to the  /root prefix that comes from nowhere.

Any help fixing it is welcome.

Achim