fai for ubuntu intrepid 8.10 clients?

Ryan Steele ryans at aweber.com
Tue Nov 25 20:32:25 CET 2008

Adrian Gibanel Lopez wrote:
> Hi list,
>

>     This is my first message. I am trying to setup FAI so that it serves
> Ubuntu 8.10 as the client system.
>     I've already checked in launchpad that ubuntu's intrepid's fai package
> has been updated to gutsy. But hardy ?

For what it's worth, I took the Lenny packages from Tomas Lange's
website (3.2.14) and adapted it for Hardy.  Works fine, but it did
require some massaging to alter the package names (for example, the aufs
packages in Ubuntu are provided by linux-ubuntu-modules and it's ilk),
kernel names, and other differences.

>     Here there are some of the things that I have done so far:
>
> - Added 192.168.1.5 demohost line to /etc/hosts line.
> - Setup /etc/fai/apt/sources.list to intrepid
> - Setup /etc/default/tftpd-hpa to my config.
> - Idem with /etc/dhpc3/dhcp.conf
> - Modified:
>     FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="intrepid
> file:/home/ubuntu_mirrors/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu"
>
> and:
>
> FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--exclude=dhcp-client,info
> --include=aptitude,fontconfig,defoma,belocs-locales-bin"
>
> in /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf.
>
> First line is obvious.
>
> The second line tried to fix a bug about aptitute command not being found
> (now it is found) and the fontconfig,deforma,belocs-locales-bin tried to
> fix some lack of packages on the client (I think so) because of some error
> that I have.
>
> - Modified NFSROOT so that: console-tools and sysvinit are not installed
> and upstart is installed. (I thought that it was the origin of the client
> problems but I am not sure any more.)
>
> - Followed the quick-start guide (copied the examples and so on)
>
> Once fai-setup -v is finished I try to boot the client.
>
> * It fetches ok kernel and initrd. I think it mounts the nfs ok.
>
> However I am not very about itbecause it often outputs:
>
> mount: error while loading share libraries: libsepol.so.1
>
> I have checked the NFSROOT interpretation by make-fai-nfsroot and libsepol
> seems to be installed ok so I do not understand why that happens.

Are libsepol1 and libsepol1-dev both installed?

> * It outputs wc not found but coreutils seems to be installed. Is there
> any place where might I check the PATH?

Is the wc problem in the config space or in the client (/target) space?
You can chroot into the nfsroot on your FAI server to find out
pre-installation if it's in the nfsroot, and drop to a busybox shell
with a ctrl+c during the installation to find out if wc is present in
the client space.

> * It outputs grep: error while loading libpcre.so.3. What's the associate
> package for that?

Do an 'apt-cache search libpcre'; the answer should be self-evident.

> * It outputs complaints about perl because of en_US.UTF_8 locale not being
> correctly installed. How do I fix it? (It is very annoying).

This is because the locale is not being set during the installation.
Make sure belocs-locales-bin, locales, and util-linux-locales are in the
list of packages installed to the client.  You can then make a custom
script that executes something like the following to make sure it's the
default locale when you reboot:

$ROOTCMD bash -x -c "echo \"LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
LANGUAGE='en_US.UTF-8' LC_CTYPE='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_NUMERIC='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_TIME='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_COLLATE='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_MONETARY='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_MESSAGES='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_PAPER='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_NAME='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_ADDRESS='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_TELEPHONE='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_MEASUREMENT='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_IDENTIFICATION='en_US.UTF-8'\" >> /etc/environment"

That's just off the top of my head, so there may be typos :P

I also, just as an extra precautionary measure, install postgres like
this in Hardy, since the postgresql-8.3 package uses the default locale
(which in my case and in your case was/is 'C' or 'POSIX'):

$ROOTCMD bash -x -c "export LANG='en_US.UTF-8' LANGUAGE='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_CTYPE='en_US.UTF-8' LC_NUMERIC='en_US.UTF-8' LC_TIME='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_COLLATE='en_US.UTF-8' LC_MONETARY='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_MESSAGES='en_US.UTF-8' LC_PAPER='en_US.UTF-8' LC_NAME='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_ADDRESS='en_US.UTF-8' LC_TELEPHONE='en_US.UTF-8'
LC_MEASUREMENT='en_US.UTF-8' LC_IDENTIFICATION='en_US.UTF-8' && apt-get
-y install postgresql-8.3 postgresql-common postgresql-client-8.3
postgresql-client-common"

> And finally (not related to the client boot) I have also seen that when
> parsing NFSROOT file is not finding any ext2resize package.
>
> Is it a problem? How do I solve it?

If you want ext2resize in your nfsroot, put it in /etc/fai/NFSROOT and
run make-fai-nfsroot -k

> Thank you very much for all the help you can provide. I am here for
> providing any information that you request me.
>
> Adrian

Respectfully,
Ryan