FAI 3.2.4 and fai-cd

Russel Hill rhill at key.net
Wed Mar 12 23:20:20 CET 2008

Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> [...]
>> At this point it boots to an '(initramfs)' prompt without the long timeout.
>>
>> /live.log says (something like):
>> mount: Mounting root filesystem on /root failed: No such device
>>
>> /root has nothing in it or mounted on it.
>> /live/image/live/filesystem.dir/ has what I expect as the 'root' filesystem
>> (with etc bin lib var dev ... and so forth).
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> Did you add the boot=live option to your kernel command line? Did you remove the
> /dev/ram0 thingy? Anyway, it might be helpful to post (the relevant part of)
> your menu.lst.
>
> If the command line is correct already, the unionfs modules are likely to be
> missing in your initrd. Could that be the case?

Attached is a snippet of our menu.lst. As you can see, we've added
boot=live and removed /dev/ram0.

How would I tell if the unionfs modules are in the initrd? With FAI 3.1
we built our own kernel and FAI (mkinitrd-cd) built the initrd it
needed. That kernel package won't work for FAI 3.2.4 (no pre-built
initrd). So, we called out the stock debian linux-image-2.6.22-3-686
package.

Does it's initrd contain the unionfs modules?
How am I supposed to know?
If not, am I now required to build my own kernel package for fai?
If so, why did fai-kernel go away?

I'm finding this a little frustrating.