FAI 3.2.4 and fai-cd

Frédéric BOITEUX fboiteux at calistel.com
Thu Mar 13 08:56:56 CET 2008

Le mer 12 mar 2008 15:20:20 CET, Russel Hill <rhill at key.net> a écrit :

> Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > [...]
> >> At this point it boots to an '(initramfs)' prompt without the long timeout.
> >>
> >> /live.log says (something like):
> >> mount: Mounting root filesystem on /root failed: No such device
> >>
> >> /root has nothing in it or mounted on it.
> >> /live/image/live/filesystem.dir/ has what I expect as the 'root' filesystem
> >> (with etc bin lib var dev ... and so forth).
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?

FAI is now based on debian-live, which have some problems last weeks
with squashfs : produced squashfs filesystem can not be well recognized
by tool used in live initrd to mount root filesystem... Perhaps it's
your case ?
What you can try :

- you can add « debug » option to your fai-cd command line (in grub) :
it will add traces of what is done by the initrd boot script (set -x)
in /tmp/initramfs.debug  ; you can also try to add « debug=whatyouwant
» : it will also print traces to the screen...

- try to manually mount squashfs filesystem when in initrd shell (after
boot failed) ; I don't remember its path, but it's ending
in .squashfs ...

	Fred B.