nfsmount: need a server?

Sig sig at akasig.org
Sun Mar 9 23:02:10 CET 2008

Using fai-cd, I can't boot and I get something strange in live.log:

Being: Trying nfsmount -o nolock -o ro "-ov2"
<the-ip-address-of-my-server>:/srv/fai/nfsroot /live/image ...
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
nfsmount: need a server
Done.
Unable to find a live file system on the network

(with the real IP address of the server, of course)

What's strange is that the same nfsmount line succeeds at mounting the
nfsroot when entered manually from the initramfs prompt !

The kernel line for getting this result is the following one:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/nfs
nfsroot=<the-ip-address-of-my-server>:/srv/fai/nfsroot nfsopts="-ov2"
FAI_FLAGS="verbose,createvt" FAI_ACTION=install
ip=:<the-ip-address-of-my-server>:::::dhcp boot=live

The reason I use these options:
- ip=:<the-ip-address-of-my-server>:::::dhcp because I can't setup a PXE
environment (my CD is meant to be used at home by DSL users who don't
get a clue about things like DHCP and PXE while the install server is
hosted somewhere in the wild)
- nfsopts="-ov2" because the install server uses nfs-user-server which
is said to be incompatible (bugged?) with nfsmount default behaviour and
the server can't use nfs-kernel-server because it is not a real server
but a vserver

Hence my question: what is the magic kernel line I should use to
successfully boot in such an environment?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- Sig