Kernel config magic?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Sat Jun 7 13:57:50 CEST 2008

    > Is there a way to take a stock kernel config and turn it into a FAI boot
    > kernel config?
Hi John,

from FAI 3.2 we are using a stock Debian kernel with initrd, so I
think you are still using an older FAI version. The README in the
fai-kernels packages describes which options you have to set to build
a kernel for FAI. But with FAI 3.2 and newer you can just use a plain
kernel. This needs the unionfs module, which is broken for some kernel
versions. But you may want to test aufs (another union file
system). Add union=aufs to the kernel command line and check that this
module available inside the nfsroot. But I did not test it myself yet.