Kernel config magic?

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Sat Jun 7 00:10:29 CEST 2008

Hi John,

> Is there a way to take a stock kernel config and turn it into a FAI boot
> kernel config? I just cannot get my FAI boot kernel to recognize the sata
> drive in a machine. Who knows what box I have to check in the kernel
> config? But I know a ubuntu kernel recognizes the drive. Can I start with
> a ubuntu kernel config and make a FAI boot kernel?

Basically a Ubuntu kernel should be fine. There may be, however, some issues
with unionfs or other unexpected bugs breaking such a setup. I don't use Ubuntu
myself, but if you could post the FAI version you are using and the Ubuntu
release, respectively the kernel version, there will surely be someone on the
list to give you further information.

Best,