executing custom bash script

venne rvenne at free.fr
Wed Jul 16 18:36:48 CEST 2008

Thomas Neumann a écrit :
> hiya
>
> Holger Parplies schrieb:
>>> I've to give something to identify my client. but, how and where?
>
>> well, normally it's the ethernet cards MAC address which is translated
>> into an IP address by DHCP. Non-interactively. You can easily do any
>> individual configuration on a per hostname basis if you even need that.

sure, that's correct. I'm, humm.... , a bit feignant... less I'v to do,
bette I feel. This solution forces me to detect each NIC's address, and
dedicate it to a single client.
> Yep, we use MAC-address too. Just make sure not to have lots of clients
> which claim to be 00:00:00:00:00:00. >.< For installation purposes we boot
> the clients via DHCP, but the final network configuration after
> installation has finished is static. That way we combine the best of both
> worlds. ;)
>
> Another possibility would be booting via PXE/syslinux
PXE is depending from NIC. I'd like to by pass that.
  and have
> pregenerated "boot images" which contain the different identities. But I
> don't think this is a suitable solution for thousands of server. Maybe
> manually editing the kernel-options on the boot prompt instead and go from
> there. Actually it's the same mechanism that fai is using to determine
> whether to start sshd, create virtual terminals, be verbose and stuff.
>
> tschüß
> thomas

I think, I would make my clown desktops quickly, and install a urgl bash
script making custom works. that would be more simple, right?

--
Apple is for work
Unix is for network