executing custom bash script

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Thu Jul 17 20:34:44 CEST 2008

venne schrieb:
>> Another possibility would be booting via PXE/syslinux

> PXE is depending from NIC. I'd like to by pass that.

Uhm. Please clarify. I do not understand.

>> there. Actually it's the same mechanism that fai is using to determine
>> whether to start sshd, create virtual terminals, be verbose and stuff.

> I think, I would make my clown desktops quickly, and install a urgl bash
> script making custom works. that would be more simple, right?

Hmm. Do you care that the client you're currently installing is a specific
client, with a specific identification and specific PKI (whatever that may
expand to) or do you want it to be just "a" client with the only criteria
to be: be unique?

If it's just "be unique" and you like to be reaaaallly lazzy then you
could do something like this:

- Configure a dhcp server to server the subnet a.b.c.d/mask. IPs are
dynamically assigned, but the lease time is something like 10 years or so.
(Just some very high value.)
- preconfigure dns to provide a hostname for each address.
- Boot the client, let it request an address via dhcp.
- Do a normal install, but do _not_ configure the client as a dhcp-client.
(Or configure it as a dhcpc-client, but make absolutely sure, that the
dhcp-leases file a) never gets los b) always contains all installed hosts)
- auto-generate your identification information from the ip-address

This way you
- won't need to keep track of mac-addresses.
- won't need to input values (just fire and forget)

It's a bit like a one-time-pad for hosts.

tschüß
thomas

P.S.: Make sure you leave the corporation after 9 years. ;)