executing custom bash script

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Wed Jul 16 17:14:03 CEST 2008

hiya

Holger Parplies schrieb:
>> I've to give something to identify my client. but, how and where?

> well, normally it's the ethernet cards MAC address which is translated
> into an IP address by DHCP. Non-interactively. You can easily do any
> individual configuration on a per hostname basis if you even need that.

Yep, we use MAC-address too. Just make sure not to have lots of clients
which claim to be 00:00:00:00:00:00. >.< For installation purposes we boot
the clients via DHCP, but the final network configuration after
installation has finished is static. That way we combine the best of both
worlds. ;)

Another possibility would be booting via PXE/syslinux and have
pregenerated "boot images" which contain the different identities. But I
don't think this is a suitable solution for thousands of server. Maybe
manually editing the kernel-options on the boot prompt instead and go from
there. Actually it's the same mechanism that fai is using to determine
whether to start sshd, create virtual terminals, be verbose and stuff.

tschüß
thomas