Compiling source code on FAI client

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Mon Feb 11 13:24:22 CET 2008

[...]

>     1    #!/bin/bash
>     2       3    $ROOTCMD cp -R /media/mirror/clustersoft /home/cluster
>   4    $ROOTCMD chmod -R 777 /home/cluster/clustersoft
>     5    $target/usr/bin/gcc $target/home/cluster/clustersoft/test.c
>
> From previous runs I learned that I have to put the keyword "$target"
> infront of the gcc command and in front of the file I would like to compile
> (test.c). But know, fai complains that the file stdio.h (this is file which
> I include in test.c) can not be found. Obviously, I should also add the
> keyword "$target" infront of any filename I call within the source-code,
> but this would not make any sense ...

[...]

Ok, just one seeming misconception: $target is not a keyword, but a simple
environment variable (ah, and you should be using $FAI_ROOT, IMHO); but the
solution should be pretty simple: State line 5 as

$ROOTCMD gcc /home/cluster/clustersoft/test.c

as $ROOTCMD expands to "chroot $FAI_ROOT", which is what you need: a chroot.

Best,