Compiling source code on FAI client

dominik baenninger baenni at kiecks.de
Mon Feb 11 13:16:44 CET 2008

Dear list,

I am a newbie in FAI. I got my running FAI configuration space but I am
looking now for a feature I could not find until now described anywhere.
What I would like to do is the following: Copy some source code from the
FAI server to the FAI client (this works) and then compile this source
code on the FAI client (this works not :-( ). Therefore, I wrote the
following script:

     1    #!/bin/bash
     2
     3    $ROOTCMD cp -R /media/mirror/clustersoft /home/cluster
     4    $ROOTCMD chmod -R 777 /home/cluster/clustersoft
     5    $target/usr/bin/gcc $target/home/cluster/clustersoft/test.c

 From previous runs I learned that I have to put the keyword "$target"
infront of the gcc command and in front of the file I would like to
compile (test.c). But know, fai complains that the file stdio.h (this is
file which I include in test.c) can not be found. Obviously, I should
also add the keyword "$target" infront of any filename I call within the
source-code, but this would not make any sense ...

So, does anyone has a good idea how to solve this problem? (Of cours I
could make the FAI installation and after first reboot I could run a
script which would make this compilation, but I do not think that this
is the meaning of FAI ....).

Best regards
Dominik