ubuntu 8.10 on client side - Maybe success

Adrian Gibanel Lopez agibanel at alumnes.udl.cat
Mon Dec 1 17:11:35 CET 2008

I think I have managed to server an ubuntu 8.10 from an ubuntu 8.10. But I
have some doubts.

If I read the manual for demohost instructions (quick instructions):

• If the installation has finished successfully, the computer
should boot a small Debian
system. You can login as user demo or root with password fai.

But this is what I get:

    Sun Nov 30 19:58:29 UTC 2008
    The install took 537 seconds.
    Calling task_chboot
    Calling task_test
    Will be implemented soon
    Source hook: savelog.LAST.source
    ERRORS found in log files. See /tmp/fai/error.log
    savelog.LAST.source  OK.
    Calling task_savelog
    Calling task_faiend
    Press <RETURN> to reboot.

If I press CTRL+C and I open with vim /tmp/fai/error.log here there are
its contents:

    dmesg.log:[     0.000000] WARNING: at
/build/buildd/linux-2.6.27/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mtrr/main.c:1500
mtrr_trim_uncached_memory+0x153/0x386()
    dmesg.log:[     0.000000] WARNING: strange, CPU MTRRs all blank?
    dmesg.log:[     0.000000] [<c0121d65>] warn_slowpath+0x65/0x90
    fai.log:find: '/lib/modules/2.6.27-8-generic/kernel/drivers/ide/pci':
No such file or directory
    fai.log: invoke-rc.d: initscript console-setup, action "start" failed.
    fai.log: find: '/var/cache/fontconfig': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/var/cache/fonts': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/var/cache/anthy': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/var/lib/belocs': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/var/lib/gconf': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/var/lib/defoma': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/var/log/installer': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/initrd.img': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/vmlinuz': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/cdrom': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/media/cdrom': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/usr/share/fonts': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/var/lib/anthy': No such file or directory
    fai.log: find: '/var/lib/defoma': No such file or directory
    fai.log: No candidate version found for sysutils
    fai.log: No candidate version found for sysutils
    shell.log:Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any know method.

Have I been successful or not? What would be my next step so
that the machine boots from network but does not perform an install?

fai-chboot -o demohost

perhaps?

I have tried to boot it and I have many mount errors because of folders
that does not exist.

If you need more information please tell me which one.

--
Firma Automática 1: