fai-multi-distribution with Ubuntu support released

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Tue Jun 5 19:22:06 CEST 2007

On 6/4/07, Rudy Gevaert <Rudy.Gevaert at ugent.be> wrote:
> I took the time to test and it works:

Cool, thanks for testing!

> Create base image file:
>
> DIST=feisty
> DIR=/tmp/$DIST
> [ -e $DIR ] || mkdir $DIR
> cd $DIR
> FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--arch i386 --exclude=dhcp-client,info feisty $DIR
> http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/ubuntu/ubuntu/"
> export FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS
> debootstrap $FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS
> chroot $DIR apt-get clean
> tar -cvzf /srv/fai/config/basefiles/FEISTY.tar.gz *
> cd /tmp
> rm -fr $DIR

This is basically what the make-fai-base-tgz from my subversion branch
does - you only need to create a config file for a new (debian-based)
distribution/version and tell it where it can find the right
debootstrap package.
(now only for debian, but it should also be possible to add
functionality for other distributions by abstractiung the call to the
bootstrapper a bit more).

> I still have some issues with networking that I'm looking into.

What exactly is happening?
I realized there are some strange things happening when installing
dapper and having a separate /var partition - I have to look into my
config at home to give you a hint what to do